Welcome to Quintessential Quilters!
Our next meeting is January 13th via Zoom. Mary Fons, daughter of Marianne Fons, of Fons & Porter, will be joining us virtually to show us some of her more unusual quilts from years gone by.
Mary Fons is a writer, editor, and public speaker specializing in the history of American quilts and quilts in popular culture. Among her credits: editor of Quiltfolk and Quilty magazines; host of nearly 250 episodes of instructional programming on public television and the internet; author of Make & Love Quilts: Scrap Quilts for the 21st Century and Dear Quilty. Her articles on quilt history and culture have appeared in Curated Quilts, Modern Patchwork, and Love of Quilting, among others. Mary has served on the board of the International Quilt Museum at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln and lectures across the country. She is in pre-production for America’s Quilt, a docuseries on America’s untold quilt histories. Mary was born in a small town in Iowa but she lives in Chicago (and sometimes in London), with her husband, Eric. Find out more about Mary Fons at
www.maryfons.com and her Youtube channel .
NOTE: February’s meeting will be a Zoom meeting as well. Email QuintessentialQuilters@nullgmail.com for information about Zoom links.
Here are photos of our November display at the Delaware County District Library, 84 E. Winter Street, Delaware 43015.
See our Quilt Display page for more photos of the quilt exhibit at the library.
Each month we will have a swap featuring a different project or theme.
- January, Brighten Someone’s Day – Let’s treat our fellow quilters to brighten the dark winter months. Sign ups will be required. You will mail a package to your swap partner by January 15, 2022. The value should be $10 or less. The goal of this swap is to make someone smile.
- February, Quilty Valentine Swap – Since we are meeting virtually in February, this swap will be through the mail, and participants must sign up in advance. Participants will send a Quilty Valentine to their swap partner. The Quilty Valentine should include something made from fabric.
PLACEMATS FOR MEALS ON WHEELS
In honor of National Quilting Day in March, QQ members will once again make quilted placemats for Meals on Wheels, a project of LifeCare Alliance. There are no rules or specific patterns, just be sure it’s something you’d like to have under your mother’s plate – clean, odor-free, and no stray threads, pet hairs, dirt, etc. Placemats must be washable. 12-13″ x 16-17″ is a good size but that’s flexible. Placemats are a good way to use orphan blocks and small pieces of fabric and batting, and to practice a new technique or free motion quilts. Placemats will be collected at the March meeting.
Here is the schedule for our 2022 retreats:
- March 4-6 – Shawnee State Park Lodge & Conference Center. Retreat is full.
- August 26-28 – Procter Center. Registration forms will go out in May or June 2022.
- October 21-23 – Kirkmont Center. Registration forms will go out in August 2022.
This year, the President’s Challenge is to create a quilt that has “text” on it. It can be an appliqued or pieced word, or letter, or it can use fabric or panels that have words printed on them. Size does not matter: placemats, wall hangings or bed quilts are all acceptable. I would love to see an ABC quilt that follows a theme. I’ve always wanted to make a nautical one with A and an anchor, B and a buoy, etc. That one is still on my list of future projects. Maybe a Halloween table runner that says Boo! is on your list. With such a broadly defined theme, we should have a record number of entries. Please bring your quilt for this challenge to the June 2022 meeting for a special viewing before the regular Show and Tell.
September 2021 – August 2022:
- President – Sue Vallera
- Vice President/President-elect – Rachel Bolles
- Treasurer – Kathi Machle
- Secretary – Evette Wise