Welcome to Quintessential Quilters!
Next Meeting – Thursday, Dec 13, 2018
Holiday Food Fest, starting at 6:30 PM. The main meat course will be supplied — you should bring a potluck dish to share, with serving utensil. Plates, eating utensils, cups and napkins will be provided as well as hot drinks and bottled water.
You can still order raffle quilt tickets on this web page (see below). Bring all your tickets to this meeting because we will be drawing the winning ticket.
Turn in your Christmas 9-patch blocks and the raffle will be held during the meeting. Directions are below.
There will be no library or sale at this meeting because all the tables will be full of food and members.
We meet on the second Thursday at:
Covenant Baptist Church
5100 Dierker Road
Columbus, Ohio 43220
(between Bethel and Henderson Roads – click here for map).
Our raffle quilt is called “Delectable Waves.” Clink on the photos to see larger versions. Use the button below to purchase tickets. Tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5. The drawing will be held at the December 2018 meeting.
If you would like to use PayPal to purchase raffle tickets, please use the button below:
CHRISTMAS 9-PATCH BLOCK RAFFLE
Welcome to the Christmas 9-Patch Block Raffle. The guidelines are simple as we are using the traditional pattern with holiday prints. You can make three 9-patch blocks in no time – make one set of 3 identical blocks or up to 4 different sets of three blocks. Blocks should be turned in before the break at the December meeting.
- Make THREE blocks for one set. For each block you will need nine 2″ squares. Make 3 identical blocks with the same Christmas fabrics. Use cream fabric (plain or print) for 4 squares, and darker Christmas prints for the 5 patches in the corner and center squares as shown. Use Christmas (or suitable colors) fabrics that contrast with the cream/off-white squares. (Do not use cream fabric anywhere but the 4 squares.) Use as many different fabrics as you like.
- You can easily get 3 blocks from a few 2″ strips. Use any value from light to dark as long as there is good contrast with the cream fabrics. Please – no metallics. Use good quilt shop quality cotton fabrics.
- Arrange your choice of fabrics as shown. Stitch with 1/4″ seams. Your blocks should be 5″ square with seam allowances (4.5″ square finished).
- You are welcome to make up to 4 sets of 3 blocks, but please use at least a few different fabrics for each set so blocks from different sets are not the same. Your name will be entered in a drawing to win blocks once for each set you turn in.
- Put each set of 3 blocks in a small baggie with your name in or on the bag. Turn blocks in at the December meeting to Janet White, Cindy DeWulf, or Betsy Weigant. Drawing will be held at the December meeting – it will depend how many blocks we collect before we know how many you could win. If enough people participate, we will have 3 sets to raffle – 6 blocks or 60 – a placemat or the start of a Christmas quilt!
- Questions? Contact Cindy DeWulf.
Jacquie Gering will be offering a 2-day workshop, “Creative Quilting with a Walking Foot,” on April 12-13, 2019. Check out her website: www.tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com and her book, “Walk”. Those current members who signed up for Jacquie’s cancelled workshop in 2016 will have priority registration. Questions? Email Quintessential Quilters.
Jacquie will also be providing the program for our April 11 meeting – “Quilting Modern: Honoring Tradition.”
QUILT RETREAT – March 1-3, 2019
Registration is still open for the annual retreat at Shawnee State Park Lodge, March 1-3, 2019. Please see Phyllis Post if you have any questions or need a registration form. If you’re new to QQ we encourage you to attend if you can. It’s a fun weekend of fellowship and sewing in a beautiful setting. We’d love to see as many of you as possible. Questions? Email Quintessential Quilters.
QQ will be offering another Border Exchange Challenge starting in January 2019. You will make the center block and three borders will be added to it, by three other quilters, before you get it back. The categories are Beginner, Intermediate, and Anything Goes. Each group will be made up of four quilters drawn from the sign- up list. We hope to have at least two groups from each of the categories. See Joan Tuttle to sign up and get any questions answered.
2019 GROUP QUILT
Save your grays! Next year’s group quilt will be a scarlet and gray theme. Packets and instructions will be available at the November meeting. You will be provided the red, but we’ll count on you to come up with 5″ squares of light, medium, and dark gray cotton fabrics. Thanks for your support!
NATIONAL QUILTING DAY – PLACEMATS FOR MEALS ON WHEELS
Once again, in celebration of National Quilting Day (March 16, 2019), we will collect quilted placemats at the March 14 meeting to deliver to Meals on Wheels, a project of LifeCare Alliance. There is no pattern – there are lots of free quilted placemat patterns online. 12″x16″ is a good size, but that’s flexible. Use your orphan blocks and odd pieces of batting you trimmed off a quilt. Placemats are a good size to practice free-motion quilting or ruler work. We have no rules, but be sure it’s something you’d like to have under your plate – clean, odor-free, and no stray threads, pet hairs, dirt, etc. Placemats need to be washable. Please hold on to your placemats until the March 14 meeting (we don’t have room to store them). Questions? Email Quintessential Quilters.
Because we use most of the tables for the December potluck, the main library and the garage sale will be closed for the month of December. We will be open for returns and the library cart full of quilting novels will be open and available to members.
The November library garage sale raised $32.65 to bring our total funds to $265.70. AQS was having a book sale, so we purchased five new books. Quilts of Valor by Schiffer Publishing (this is back ordered); Lily Girl’s Christmas Quilt by Ann Hazelwood – we have the entire series; Sew in Love by Edyta Sitar; Joyful Stitching by Laura Wasilowski;
Wiggles & Waves: Free-Form Curves by Karen Eckmeier.
The President’s challenge theme this year is “Out of the Box.” This challenge is to get you to use your brain and think of something that you either have not done before or change using the same colors or pattern, etc. Keep in mind that your brain is like a muscle, if you don’t use it, it stops working.
Guidelines are flexible – any item works: quilt, wallhanging, bag, clothing, 3-D sculpture – just try something different. A new technique – applique, free motion quilting, paper-piecing, hand-work; a new-to-you palette; a different style – switch from multi-block repeats to something modern. Just do it!!
Questions? Ask Juanita. Projects will be revealed at the June meeting, so you have plenty of time to get your nerve up to try something new.
We will be collecting paper towels, toilet paper and powdered laundry detergent as well as cell phones at the December meeting.
However, since it is Christmas time, please consider donating small gifts to help make the season a little more joyful for the women and children at the shelter. Items could include crayons or markers and coloring books, small
games, new scarves or gloves, gift cards to Walmart, Target, or Meijers, as well as movie admission passes or passes to COSI or the Zoo. Please do not donate any toys that display or encourage violence.
“LSS Choices for Victims of Domestic Violence“ is an organization serving Franklin County by providing counseling and shelter to women and children who are victims of domestic abuse. Choices serves 700-800 individuals annually. QQ has been supporting this organization since 1994 by providing quilts and other donated items, primarily paper goods and cleaning supplies, for the shelter.
MARK THESE DATES ON YOUR CALENDAR!
- QQ meetings – Dec 13, Jan 10, Feb 14, Mar 14, Apr 11, May 9, Jun 13
- Jan 24, 2019 – QQ Board Meeting
- Mar 1-3, 2019 – Shawnee State Park Retreat
- Mar 15, 2019 – National Quilting Day
- Apr 11, 2019 – Jackie Gehring’s program “Quilting Modern: Honoring Tradition”, www.tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com
- Apr 12-13, 2019 – Jackie Gehring’s Workshop “Creative Quilting with a Walking Foot”, www.tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com